Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Yummy Snacks

I absolutely love eating healthy foods! It makes such a HUGE difference in how I feel - both physically AND mentally. Whenever I indulge in foods with a high sugar content (not counting fruit sugar of course) I feel tired, yucky to my tummy and many times get headaches. While I don't believe in restricting any foods from your diet, (that only leads to obsessing about those foods and eventually giving in and gorging on them), I do believe that some foods are better eaten on rare occasions.

It seems like I'm always coming up with new, yummy little snacks to eat during my day to keep hunger away between meals. I'm sure everyone now has heard the theory that it's better to eat three small meals and two snacks per day, rather than the traditional three large meals a day. That method is the way I have eaten for the last eight years or so and I love it for several reasons:

1. I don't get terribly hungry between my main meals and therefore I don't overeat when I do sit down for lunch or dinner.
2. Being hungry makes me ornery. Keeping my tummy at a neutral feeling - meaning not feeling too full and not feeling too hungry - makes me a very happy person and keeps my blood sugar stable throughout the day.
3. If I eat six small meals a day, I maintain my energy better than eating a large meal - which makes me feel sluggish and tired.

If you haven't yet adopted this way of eating, I highly recommend it. Click here to see a very informative article on many of the benefits that come from eating six small meals a day.

Let me share one of my newest snacks that I adapted from the McDonald's Fruit and Walnut salad. I changed it up just a bit to go with the fruits that are in season, and to make it a bit more healthy. (Their recipe contains candied walnuts. Mine calls for raw walnuts.)

Lowfat vanilla yogurt in a bowl topped with:
1/2 of an apple cut into small pieces
1/2 of a banana cut into small pieces
Small handful of fresh walnuts

There you have it! It's a refreshing little bowl of healthy foods - sure to give you an energy boost and a happy tummy.

No comments:

 
My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites